Saturday, May 27, 2006

I've never been one to wear much makeup. Some years back however, I looked in the mirror and realized I had no eyebrows to speak of.They needed a little help...just a little filling in with an eyebrow pencil.Soon after this discovery, I realized I also needed glasses.Anyone who wears glasses will tell you it's hard to apply your eye makeup with your glasses on.Add to this problem the fact that the lighting over my bathroom mirror is horrible.So, once I am in the car, in the light of day, I always lean over and check my makeup in the rear view mirror.I can never seem to do matching eyebrows.....I always seem to have one cynical raised eyebrow!
Maybe it's not just my eyebrows that are fading away.....maybe I've lost a coupla brain cells, too.How else to account for the discovery I made one day in the rearview mirror.... What? Did a shiny object capture my attention,and I just forgot to draw on that other eyebrow?This sent me scrambling for a no.2 pencil from under the seat, to finish off the job.....

Then, the problem seemed to be solved. My daughter in law left some makeup at my house. One morning, I couldn't find my pencil, so I looked through the makeup she had left.I found the perfect pencil...it went on so smoothly....I drew the perfect eyebrows. I felt no need to check them in the rearview mirror.I went grocery shopping,and left the house on a few more occasions, never checking the rearview mirror. Then, in the car one day, I turned to look at my son. "Mom!...Why do you have purple eyebrows?" ......"What?" I said.(in horror). I leaned over to look in the mirror. "Oh MY God!" It was true ...I had PURPLE eyebrows!!! I could have died....I had been to the grocery store this way....I had been out IN PUBLIC!!

When I got in the house, I rushed to get the pencil...I took it to the light...it was not an eyebrow pencil....it was some sort of eyeshadow/liner....the color?......GRAPE...yes,GRAPE!!

Maybe Whoopi has the right idea...... No eyebrows is so much easier!!!




24 Comments:

Blogger Joy Eliz said...

ok...I've just had my laugh of the week!
Thanks!!!

I have the invisible eyebrows...I still pluck them...I don't even know why.
I used to wear make up every day...now I never wear it...
Here's the strange thing - I miss it. and I love to look thru all the cosmetic mags.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

This got me laughing - thanks Janet I needed that!

I had a friend who practised for ages to get that one eyebrow raised look... whilst I practised being able to wink with either eye... but it would lose its appeal as a sort of stuck on continuous feature - might lend credence to that old caution "if you make faces like that, the wind will change and you'll get stuck with it".

If I needed a cautionary tale about make-up that was a good one... mostly I don't wear any, any more... I know other people like me more with it on but I don't like the way it feels - though I do like the way it looks.

Purple eyebrows... chuckle!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the story! I guess it's not surprising that we have the same problem - I can never make my "filled-in" eyebrows match either.

Lisa

1:29 PM  
Blogger The Unknown said...

I bet the purple looked HAWESOME!
love

6:54 PM  
Blogger SisToPencilMeIn&SimpleMusings said...

That is so hilarious! You had "Grape" eyebrows!! I don't even bother with mine, I figure there is no use, and there's not much there to work with! Teresa (my ex-sister-in-law) was actually sitting at my kitchen table about a year or two ago and out of the blue said, "Dana! Where's your eyebrows??" Guess she never really looked at me close enough to realize I've never had any!
Love you!
Dana

8:37 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

I laughed and laughed reading this, and i think the artwork is just so good and funny as well!

12:43 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Ha HA this is hilarious!!! I laughed quite a bit on this one Janet! Hey everybody colours their hair weird colours, why not eyebrows. Your just ahead of the pack! A real trendsetter!!! Love these illos Janet!!!

12:58 AM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Laughing out loud!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Mark Martin said...

What the hell is wrong with purple eyebrows? FABULOUS, DARLING, FABULOUS!!!

7:44 PM  
Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

Such funny "eye-opening" illustrations! Thanks for your comments about Trowbridge Chronicles. I do plan on bringing Mrs. Trowbridge back as much and as soon as possible.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Ian russell said...

you girls! can't you draw eyebrows on the mirror first? get them the way you want then it's just a matter of tracing them onto your forehead as you look in the mirror. :o/

purple ones sound...okay.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Ha Ha...I'll hafta try that one, Ian! :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger CRISTOSOVA said...

Uh, and you complained about people shaving in public ;)

But you do know that carrying something around long and persistently enough will invent a new fashion? I think purple eyebrows sound kind of neat! Like the old Ladies with purple hair - a sign of newfound complete independence of common taste. Very distinguishedly above it all.

How different we women can be on this issues: there is the dye-crowd, there is the pluck-crowd, there is the au-naturelle-crowd. And it seems there is Whoopie... I didnĀ“t know

8:52 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

That was hilarious!
Purple eyebrows!
Did they raise any eyebrows?
Caro, I can do both!
One eyebrow raised look and being able to wink with either eye...
I hope the wind doesn't change!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Twisselman said...

You've started my day with a chuckle. Wonderful story. My wife is always complaining about my eyebrows... too bushy and all-over-the-place (or '-face').

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Janet!!!
That is soooo funny!!!! Here you were feelin' extra pretty. And ya know? You WERE extra pretty with that dazzlin' color and you probably just started a new trend there in the grocery store. Have you returned recently to see if you have any followers?

7:44 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

I've never gotten the whole makeup deal, but I guess that's because I'm male. As I keep asking my wife, why do you want to paint over beauty? Would you paint over the Mona Lisa? It's one bit of animal nature we just can't get rid of- humans don't have any colorfull plumage to attract mates, so we have to make some.
And I'm sure purple is your color ;)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Tara's Art Camp said...

Oh my gosh, what a great story!

12:40 AM  
Blogger modroom said...

It can only be a good thing, it's an under rated colour for eyebrows. I am grapeful you've shared this.

7:06 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Janet, this is a laugh riot! Who knows - maybe nobody even noticed your purple eyebrows. I think next time you should try doing them in two different colors! Thanks for the laugh:>>>>

6:27 PM  
Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

Very funny story and nice illustration! Thanks for your comments on my blog.

9:01 AM  
Blogger flossy-p said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - that's hillarious!!!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Rurality said...

Too funny! OK now if I run into a (nearly) 6-foot tall woman with a quizzical purple eyebrow, I'll know it's you. :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Alicia Souza said...

hahaha...tht was a funnie story.
i used blue once...but it wasnt tht obvious...i dunno WHY people make blue 'eyebrow' pencils...

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Online Schools