Wednesday, September 27, 2006

ILLO. FRI. PHOBIA













Alektorophobia....fear of chickens
Motorphobia....fear of cars

I don't have any phobias.I'm not afraid of cars, and I'm not afraid of chickens; although I must confess....riding in a car with a chicken can be just a tad...er...uncomfortable. I once had a neighbor who was a little...um....odd.She called one day to ask if I wanted to go shopping with her. She owned a really ancient big old sedan.(half the time, it wasn't in running condition.)...and it was always ....well....rather messy inside.
When she pulled into the drive, I opened the passenger door, and started to get inside......"Ackkk!"..."What is that?" I asked. There, in the passenger side floorboard (glaring at me!) sat a chicken....A Chicken!
"Oh, that..." she said.." I didn't drive my car for a few days, and I forgot and left the window down. The chicken flew in, and laid her eggs in here, so now she's setting". Sure enough, she had laid her eggs on a pile of old papers, (and who knows what else.) Now, anyone else would probably have moved the eggs and chicken to another place (but not my neighbor....this was right up her alley...sharing her car with a chicken!)
"Well, are you getting in, or not?"
Long story short......I carefully climbed in, and rode the eight miles to town with a setting hen between my feet.She glared at me with her beady little eyes the whole way. The more I thought about it, I realised I didn't want to disturb this passenger any more than I had to.
We pulled up at the grocery store. "Well.... are you coming, or not?"my friend asked. "Ummm....er...no, I really didn't need anything ( I lied)....I just came along for the ride.....

19 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

sorry....quick, messy sketch, but I haven't been doing Illo Fri very much lately and I will be busy the rest of the week, but I was determined to participate this go 'round....

1:01 AM  
Blogger Heartful said...

Oh my god, what a surreal story! But you turned it into a great illustration!

4:05 AM  
Blogger Fossfor said...

i like the expression on his face as if he's seen it all :) and that's a nice chicken story!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle Lana said...

funny...great expression and a great drawing!

7:16 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

This really tops them Janet! And they say people in LA are weird! John nd I laughed out loud at this one!!! Great story and I love the illo, it has your signature syle!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygawwd, that is hilarious!!!! I could picture Kathy Bates cast as that character in the chicken car! what a hoot! (as they say in them parts). Great, funny drawing and an adorable and unforgettable story to match!!! :O)

This killed me: "well, are you getting, or not?"

2:47 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

Your narrative for the history behind this scene is so funny, LOL.

I like the texture and claustrophobic quality of this piece and that crazy looking chicken. So unique and so much fun!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Twisselman said...

Great post and illustration! Gotta love the necklace on that hen with an attitude. That necklace reminds me of the one Wilma Flintstone used to wear.

Wonderful story. Setting hens are definitely unnerving. 'Beady' is the word for their evil little eyes.

Good to see your illustrations back in the IF loop.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Ian russell said...

good to see you back with the pencil, janet. chooks can be strange critters, we kept a few a while back.

it's a great little illustration.

7:27 AM  
Blogger LDahl said...

Oh this just made my day!!! Your friend sounds like a hoot!! I wonder how many people in this country can say they've ridden to town with a chicken? Your story and illo made the experience all worthwhile!! Thanks for the fun start to my new day:)))

10:09 AM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Great image, and that story is a scream. :-)

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the illustration, and the story is hilarious!

Cory

11:59 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

You only really need to be afraid when the chicken starts driving.

9:11 AM  
Blogger RHoward454 said...

I can absolutely get a clear mental picture of this. Please do more (and more often)!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

What a great story! I'm still laughing. Your chicken has some great attitude.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

fun chicken!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Hahahahaa hallow!

3:35 AM  
Blogger Matt Phelan said...

I did chicken fear, too, but the addition of car fear is truly inspired.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and I thought my grandmother's story about her pet chicken that used to ride the bus with her was great. I like your story. My own personal chicken story is sad so I won't say anything about it here. Maybe I will illustrate it and put it up on my blog.
Your art is great, great technique...

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Online Schools